Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Yoga and Infertility

Before you think I'm saying that practicing yoga is good for your fertility, think again. Maybe it is! I'm quite sure that anything that is healthy for your body and mind will help.

What I'm not sure is if the pseudo-spiritual side of yoga is on target. But there is a mystical tradition of meditation in Christian circles that intersects with it. If you're really "flexible and twisty" you can probably do the bird of paradise or even the frog while meditating and praying ... I know I'm always praying. Praying I can get through the class every week without hurting myself!

I do know that while I am determined to exercise and stretch my muscles practicing yoga, I am as equally determined to exercise and stretch my prayer muscles! Try it! You don't have to do yoga, you can do cardio, lift weights, go on hikes, or swim.

It is great to do these things with a friend and deepen your friendship, but it is also great to do these things with our Friend and deepen our relationship with Him. Believe me, when Jesus walked this earth, He put in a lot of miles, there were no cars, remember.

I would like to think that He knows first hand the kind of physical anguish we are in when we are exercising for health reasons, to lose weight, to increase our fertility, to get our mind in gear and/or just to fill up time so we don't think about that child we so desperately want.

So, when I'm practicing yoga, I talk to Him. And, when I am most twisted up and desperate for a break, I listen.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

love it...I know I need that time Alone with Christ...He really is the ONLY One who truly understands our longings.